Conference: Histories of Capitalism, v2.0
CALL FOR PAPERS
Histories of Capitalism, 2.0
September 29 to October 1, 2016
In 2014, Cornell’s History of Capitalism Initiative hosted a conference on the “Histories of American Capitalism” to showcase the deep connection between traditional subfields of social history (race, gender, sexuality and class) and the new history of capitalism. Building on the success of that conference and on developments in this rapidly-growing field, we invite proposals for panels that continue to illustrate the diversity of the histories of capitalism(s) through a variety of perspectives, including intellectual, legal, gender, environmental history, as well as the history of science and technology.
We hope that the previous conference’s focus, which sought to bring social and cultural history categories into dialogue with capitalism, will continue to infuse the conversation this year. We would also especially like to see panels and papers that incorporate non-U.S., regional, transnational, or global histories.
For the 2016 conference we are open to all proposals and particularly encourage submissions on:
- Science and Technology
- Unfree Labor
- Family and Home
- Environment and Built Environment
- Criticizing, Defending and Defining Capitalism
- Regulation and the State
Plenary Speakers include:
- Jedidiah Purdy (Duke)
- Marcus Rediker (Pittsburgh)
- Emma Rothschild (Harvard University)
- Juliet Walker (University of Texas-Austin)
- Our invitation is open to scholars at any stage of their careers. We will accept both panels and individual papers.
- For each panel, please include a 500 word description of the panel, a 250 word description of each paper in the panel and a short c.v. for each paper giver.
- For each paper, please submit a 250 word description of the paper and a short c.v.
- To submit the paper proposals please go to http://hoc.ilr.cornell.edu/fall-2016-conference
- Submissions are due by March 1, 2016
Call for Papers
We are currently accepting proposals for the 2016 conference.
Register for the Conference
Registration to attend the conference has not yet begun.
Please contact Rhonda Clouse with any questions or concerns.