Call for Papers – EDHEC Family Business Conference
Family firms in the long run: The interplay between emotions and history
Lille, France May 11-12, 2017
Family businesses play a central role in the world economy and have intrigued historians and management scholars alike. What makes them a fascinating subject of study is the interconnectedness of the family and the business in the long-run. As such, they offer a fertile ground for exploring the history of the family, viewed as an emotional multigenerational system, in addition to the history of the business. Up to date however, scarce studies exist on the topic of emotions and their historical importance in family businesses. The main reason may lie in the complexity of analyzing two systems and choosing appropriate research methodologies.
In response to these gaps and subsequent calls for more cooperation, this conference stands as a meeting point between business historians, family business scholars and managers to inform the family business field.
Call for Papers – 2017 EDHEC Family Business Conference on Family Firms in the long run: The interplay between emotions and history. Lille, France May 11-12 2017
The 2017 EDHEC Family Business Conference intends to stimulate and strengthen the historians’ analytical efforts by integrating theories and insights from family business management studies. By building on historians’ knowledge and perspectives, it also aims at helping family business scholars gain a deeper understanding of the emotional dynamics and processes as they perpetuate over time.
INVITATION FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
Among relevant issues at the intersection of emotions and history, the conference invites submissions exploring:
- The process of historical narratives and related emotions
- The strategic use of family business history
- The family business emotions through history
Selected papers from the conference will be invited for submission to a Special Issue by the leading French business history journal, “Entreprises et Histoire”.
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSIONS
Proposals are expected to be written in English, with a 3-page limit, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font, including the following sections:
- A 250-word abstract;
- The justification or need for the study;
- The research objectives;
- A brief literature review;
- The methodology (if applicable);
- Findings and discussion, future research directions.
- Submission of proposals: December 16, 2016
- Notification of acceptance: January 16, 2017
- Full paper (for inclusion in the special issue): April 7, 2017
- Conference will be held on May 11-12, 2017
Proposals should be submitted by email to: email@example.com
- Fabian BERNHARD, PhD, Associate Professor of Management and Family Business, EDHEC Business School
- Ludovic CAILLUET, PhD, Professor of Strategic Management and Business History, EDHEC Business School
- Rania LABAKI, PhD, Associate Professor of Finance and Family Business, EDHEC Business School
- John Seaman, CEO of Saybrook Partners