Call for Papers: Business Archives Council Conference 2021
The Day After Tomorrow: Business Archives and the Climate Crisis
In November this year, all eyes will be on Glasgow as it hosts COP26 – the United Nations Climate Change Conference. The BAC’s annual conference, which will be held on 24 and 25 November 2021, will take the same theme. Given the subject we are discussing and the success of our Zoom conference last year, we will again be offering a virtual format this year with short papers and sessions spread over two half-days.
We would welcome papers and contributions from business historians as well as archivists about, but not limited, to the following themes:
- Involvement in your parent organisation’s own environmental/climate targets
- Collecting the records of climate change and businesses in new sectors such as green energy and technologies
- Collecting the records of traditional hydrocarbon industries and their changes and adaptions for the future
- Measuring and mitigating the environmental costs of digital preservation
- Controlling energy use in archive stores through repository design and minimising use of climate controls
- Working with community or sector groups on action plans to combat climate change
- Planning for extreme climate change events and their impacts on archives
- Decolonisation, decarbonisation, extractivism and reparative social justice
We hope that this conference will provide a productive space to advance these conversations and share best practice.
Please submit proposals to email@example.com, stating your name, institution (if applicable), and abstract (no more than 250 words) by 27 September.